Popular Posts

Thursday, November 8, 2012

"Gathering Spring Flowers" By ~ Henry John Yeend King ~ 1855 - 1924.

Gathering Spring Flowers.
Henry John Yeend King
(1855 - 1924)

Henry John Yeend King was an important Victorian genre and landscape artist.  He was born in London on August 21, 1855 and began his education as a choirboy at the Temple Church.  One of the artist’s earliest recollections was of being locked in the building one afternoon after practice: “I had to spend the night in a cabin built of pew cushions, while my father was inquiring at every hospital in London.  After three weeks’ rest with a bad cold, on going back to my choral duties I was summoned to an interview with a Bencher, who, after regaling me with cake and wine, presented me with five shillings for having been a ‘good boy,’ and ‘for not having thrown my boots through one of the stained-glass windows.’ The idea of doing such a thing had never occurred to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment